Answers are here:
- Theme for World Day of Social Justice (20 February 2020) – “Closing the Inequalities Gap to Achieve Social Justice”.
- At present, Largest non-bank owned private life insurer in India – Max Life.
- This private bank, Max Financial Services Limited (MFS) and Max Life Insurance Company Limited (Max Life) have signed a confidentiality and exclusivity arrangement to explore the possibility of bank entering into a long-term strategic partnership with Max Life – Axis Bank.
- This state tops in India in total investment proposed under Industrial Entrepreneur Memorandum (IEM) – Gujarat (with Rs 3.43 lakh crore or 51% of the total investment)(Second – Maharashtra with Rs 1.15 lakh crore).
- Industrial Entrepreneur Memorandum (IEM) is registered under the central government’s – Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- World’s most heavily trafficked mammal, according to a new report ‘watchdog TRAFFIC’ – Pangolins.
- This country will ink an agreement with Sri Lanka to develop the Jaffna’s Palaly airport – India.
- This country has created two USD 1 million Food Planet Prizes (annually) for solutions to feed billions of people – Sweden (one to “an existing scalable solution for sustainable foods”, the second for “innovative initiatives that could transform the global food sector”).
- The world’s population, currently at – 8 billion.
- First position on a ‘Sustainability Index 2020’ that leads the table for survival, health, education and nutrition rates – Norway(followed by South Korea and the Netherlands).
- India’s rank on a ‘Sustainability Index 2020’, released by a commission of the WHO & UNICEF, that takes into account per capita carbon emissions and ability of children in a nation to live healthy lives – 77th.
- India’s rank on a ‘Flourishing Index 2020’ that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children – 131st.
- The four-day Indian Students’ Parliament inaugurated on 20 February 2020 in – New Delhi.
- ‘Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern States’ has been scheduled to be held from 24-26 February in – Guwahati, Assam.
- India needs to invest an estimated extra _______ in road safety over the next decade to halve its crash fatalities, according to a report titled “Delivering Road Safety in India” of the World Bank – USD 109 billion.
- ‘Historical Gastronomica-The Indus Dining Experience’, an exhibition on India’s ancient food, will conclude on 25 February 2020 at – National Museum, New Delhi.
Person in news
- New Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) – Sanjay Kothari.
- Winner of the ‘2019 Agence France-Presse Kate Webb Prize’ which will be formally presented at a ceremony in Hong Kong – Ahmer Khan (Indian).
- First team from India to qualify for the group stage of the AFC Champions League – FC Goa.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Sportsperson of the Year award – P V Sindhu (Female), Saurabh Chaudhary(Male).
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Courage award – Dutee Chand.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Comeback of the Year – Koneru Humpy.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Emerging Sports Person of the Year – Deepak Punia.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Coach of the Year – Pullela Gopichand(Badminton Coach).
- First by an Indian in badminton, which has been selected as the 2020 ESPN’s Moment of the Year – Sindhu’s World Championship win.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Team of the Year – Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Differently-abled Athlete of the Year/Para-Athlete of the Year – Manasi Joshi.
- Winner of the 2020 ESPN’s Lifetime Achievement award – Hockey legend Balbir Singh Senior.
State current affairs
- Assam’s first “zero waste town” – Titabor.
- This state government is working on a war footing to set up open gymnasiums in every gram panchayat of the state – Uttar Pradesh.
- This state government has proposed to set up its own generating units to produce 10,000 MW of solar power to meet the energy requirements of the agriculture sector – Andhra Pradesh.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was raised on – 24 October 1962.
- Mizoram – Statehood: 19 February 1987; Capital: Aizawl.
- The Kate Webb Prize, with a 3,000 euro (USD 3,400) purse, honours journalists working in perilous or difficult conditions in – Asia.
- CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) – Agreed: 3 March 1973; Effective: 1 July 1975.
- The Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities is a side-agreement to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – Adopted: 30 March 2007; Effective: 3 May 2008.
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – Signed: 30 March 2007; Effective: 3 May 2008.
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC or UNCRC) – Signed: 30 November 1989; Effective: 2 September 1990.